E. Martin & Company and J.F. Cutter
Edward Johnson Martin was born in Ireland in 1819 and arrived in San Francisco at the age of 29. He made a small fortune in mining and then returned to San Francisco and in 1859 partnered with Daniel V. B. Henarie, E. P. Rowe and James Mairs in a wholesale liquor business, known as E. Martin & Co. In 1870, they involved John F Cutter in an attempt to steal the Cutter brand away from Charles P. Moorman. Although they lost a legal battle over the Cutter brand, they did produce several successful brands: "Argonaut", "E Martin & Co.", "J. F. Cutter", "J. F. Cutter Extra Old Bourbon", "J. F. Cutter's Extra Bourbon", "Miller's Extra Old Bourbon", "Miller's Extra Whisky", "Miller's Old Bourbon", and "Old Dorsey."
1265 Lombard 1980 - Bottle in 1898 Fire Rubble Martin-Cutter Ridge Cottages Facing Polk Destroyed in 1898 Fire
Address timeline: 604-606 Front (1865-1867), 408 Front (1868-1894), 411 Market (1895-1899), 54-56 1 st (1900-1906), 336 2 nd (1907-1918), Mills Bldg (1919)
Anson P. Hotaling and J.H. Cutter
Anson Parsons Hotaling and his company became the Pacific Coast agents for the J.H. Cutter brand of whiskey in1862. The owners of J.H. Cutter whiskey at this time were Charles P. Moorman and Milton J. Hardy. These two had purchased the company from John H. Cutter just before or after his July 7, 1860 death. Charles Moorman had been a partner of John H. Cutter since 1858, and Milton Hardy had been a partner since 1859. Milton Hardy was married to John H. Cutter's daughter, Susan. Hardy was, also, the J.H Cutter wholesale distributor for Boston and he would, eventually, handle the legal and management side of the business from New York in the1870s. Charles Moorman was involved in the distilling portion of the business until the 1870s. Moorman moved to vice-presidency of Kentucky National Bank and dealt in wholesale commodities other than whiskey.
The Anson Hotaling wholesale wine and liquor business had it's headquarters in San Francisco at Jackson and Johnson Alley in 1867. In addition to selling in California, Holtaling traded overseas as far south as Australia Alaska. Hotaling opened an office in Portland, Oregon in 1873, and began in Australia in 1877. He sold the Portland business in 1894. Henry and William Sherwood began a wholesale liquor business in San Francisco in 1886 at 212-4 Market. In a few years, their business grew to include warehouse located at 15-17 Pine Street. In 1905 they bought Anson P. Hotaling's interest in J.H. Cutter whiskey. On April18, 1906 an earthquake and fire destroyed their Market warehouse. When they rebuilt, the J.H. Cutter business was kept separate at 336-8 Second. The rest of the business was at 41-47 Beale.
Edward Martin and Company and J .F. Cutter
Henry M. Cutter took over his father's agency in San Francisco in 1866 and operated it until John F. Cutter began a business with Edward Martin in 1870. His father William Cutter was John H. Cutter's brother. E.P. Rowe was a partner of Henry M. Cutter in 1869. The third child of John H. Cutter, John Francis Cutter always thought that Moorman had taken advantage of his father on his death bed in order to steal the Cutter name. In 1870, Milton J. Hardy introduced the J. F. Cutter Extra brand through John F. Cutter and Edward Johnson Martin and Company, a wholesale liquor house in San Francisco. The other partners of Edward Martin were Danial Henarie, E.P. Rowe, and James Mairs. John F. Cutter supervised sales and merchandise until 1875. John F. Cutter had apparently began drinking too much and became obsessed with the idea that Moorman had stolen the Cutter name from the family. He left San Francisco went back to Louisville. In February1875, he found Charles Moorman at the Galt Hotel in Louisville. He demanded part of the profits from the sale of J.H. Cutter whiskey; and, when Moorman refused, he assaulted Moorman. This attempt was followed by another assault in a few days. He was convicted, jailed, became sick, and died on Feb. 21.
In addition to J.F. Cutter Extra Whiskey, Edward Martin distributed Miller's Extra Old Bourbon1871-5. Milton Hardy bought the controlling interest from Charles Moorman. However, by 1877 Moorman wanted back into the business and they shared the use of the J.H. Cutter name from 1877-9, when Moorman won the right for sole ownership of J.H. Cutter name for $51,050. Another source of conflict was that Moorman and Hotaling charged that the whiskey was of inferior quality, because the whiskey Hardy and Edward Martin sold was manufactured in Cincinnati George O. Blake was a junior partner in J.H. Cutter from 1866 to 1871. He supervised quality control and operations. In 1871 he established his own brand and firm. The Pond-Reynold Company, established in 1868, was chosen to distribute the new whiskey from San Francisco. Edward B. Pond of Reynolds-Pond wholesale liquor sold his interest to Samuel More in 1875 and entered banking, later serving as San Francisco mayor.